Canadian home sales moderate further in December
Ottawa, ON, January 15, 2014 - According to statistics released today by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA), national home sales activity posted its third consecutive month-over-month decline in December 2013.
- National home sales fell 1.8% from November to December.
- Actual (not seasonally adjusted) activity stood 12.9% above weak December 2012 levels.
- The number of newly listed homes dropped 4.3% from November to December.
- The Canadian housing market remains in balanced territory.
- The national average sale price rose 10.4% on a year-over-year basis in December.
- The MLS® Home Price Index (HPI) rose 4.3% year-over-year in December.
The number of home sales processed through the MLS® Systems of Canadian real estate Boards and Associations and other co-operative listing systems was down 1.8 per cent on a month-over-month basis in December 2013, marking the third straight monthly decline....